Is Costa Rica a Suitable Vacation Spot?
Costa Rica is a popular tourist destination year-round with peak seasons occurring over the Christmas holidays, New Year’s and Easter. Summer travel in July and August is considered low-season so booking accommodations may be easier, slightly cheaper and major attractions are less busy. August is found to be less busy than July.
Here are a few reasons to consider travelling to Costa Rica in the summer.
Costa Rica, particularly near Manuel Antonio Bay, enjoys mild average year-round temperatures typically ranging between 75 to 85 °F (25 to 30°C). While there is rainfall in the summer months, it typically occurs in the late afternoon, evenings or overnight. The mornings are hot and sunny – perfect for outdoor adventures, or soaking up the sun on the beach. November typically experiences the heaviest rainfall.
One of the best parts about travelling is experiencing local traditions and customs. What better way to do this than to visit during a holiday or festival? Here’s a brief overview of holidays in July and August:
- Virgin of the Sea Fiestas: Falling sometime near the middle of the month, this holiday celebrates the patron saint in Puntarenas. Locals celebrate through religious activities, food, music, and parades.
- Annexation of Guanacaste Day: On July 25th, locals commemorate the day that Guanacaste province chose their nation over Nicaragua in 1824. While many events are centered in the capital, Liberia, you’ll also find other events around the country such as bullfighting, parades and making merry.
- Virgin of Los Angeles Day: To experience a religious holiday, visit on August 2nd. Paying homage to the virgin La Negrita, Costa Ricans embark on a pilgrimage on foot or on their knees toward Cartago’s Los Angeles Basilica to ask La Negrita for a wish to be bestowed upon them.
- San Ramon Day Parades: August 30th is dedicated to celebrating the day 30 patron saints arrived in San Ramon. There is plenty of music and dancing.
Of course, one of the main attractions of Costa Rica is its abundance of natural beauty and wildlife. There are many ways to explore the country and experience beaches and rainforests. There are some great tours to take.
- Canopy tours: Zipline through the rainforest and enjoy the exhilarating rush and bird’s eye view.
- Manuel Antonio National Park: Enjoy a guided tour of this national gem, an oasis of tropical flora and fauna.
- Tortuga Island: Relax on a white sand beach, go snorkelling to look at underwater creatures and enjoy a picnic on the beach.
- Fishing: Costa Rica is world-renowned for its deep-sea and shore fishing.
- Whitewater rafting: Traverse the Savegre River and experience a variety of classes of rapids on a sturdy raft.
Unlike many countries where summers can get too busy or too hot, Costa Rica has year-round temperate weather and a relatively slower tourist season which makes it an ideal place for your next summer vacation. Contact us today to learn more.