4 Fun Things to Do When It Rains in Manuel Antonio
You may take a look at the weather forecast in Costa Rica and notice rain is quite common throughout the area. The rainy season — or, as we call it, the green season — lasts from May until mid-November.
For locals, it’s one of our favorite times of year to marvel at the lush and verdant flora and fauna that fills every corner of our country. Parts of Costa Rica can receive from 100 inches to 25 feet of rainfall annually. So what is there to do in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, when it pours or even drizzles?
Our guests discover that the most exciting and engaging activities around Manuel Antonio are just as much fun during one of our refreshingly rainy days. Here are four of our favorite activities to do in Manuel, Costa Rica, when the rain starts to fall.
1. Explore the Rainforest
Where better to head when it rains than into the rainforest? Venture into Costa Rica’s dense jungle and discover a diverse ecosystem unlike any other in the world. With more than 500,000 species of plants and animals throughout our country, Costa Rica is one of the most biodiverse nations, accounting for more than 5% percent of all species worldwide.
Journey into Manuel Antonio National Park to get a glimpse of Costa Rica’s wildlife. View endemic birds flying overhead as you try to spot a sloth lazily laying in the trees. Frogs, coatis, iguanas, monkeys and more roam around this 683-hectare park. If you visit with children, be sure to take a “kids saving the rainforest” tour, which will teach them all about this natural habitat and why it’s important to protect these gorgeous landscapes that so many creatures call home.
For the best view of the rainforest, schedule a canopy tour. Zipline rides are among the most popular activities to do in Manuel, Costa Rica, especially when it rains. The canopy will help keep you dry as you safely zip through the trees. Canopy zipline tours are the best ways to experience the sights, sounds and smells of the rainforest.
2. Go Whale Watching
As one of the most biodiverse regions of the world, Costa Rica has an abundance of marine life wading in the waves just offshore from Villa Punto de Vista. While our waters are home to dolphin and sailfish that spring from the surface to say hello, there are other friendly sea creatures you’ll want to keep an eye out for — our wonderful whales. Ten unique species of whales call our Pacific coast home, including the mighty humpback whale.
The humpback whale is identifiable by its long pectoral fins that extend up to 15 feet. However, you won’t need to look too closely to spot these beautiful creatures. This species of a baleen whale is known for its dazzling dancing breach from the water. They also move in pods, meaning it’s not uncommon to see multiple whales breaching in the same area.
The best time for whale watching in Costa Rica is August through October, which is right in the heart of our rainy season. But don’t worry — even if you travel to Manuel during other times of the year, there are still plenty of opportunities to view these whales as they breach from the water. Hop on a boat and head out onto the ocean for a whale watching tour no matter what the weather brings.
3. Enjoy the Open Water
Whale watching is only one of the many on-water activities to do in Manuel, Costa Rica, during a rainy day. Only feet from the sandy shores of the Pacific, Villa Punto de Vista offers dozens of opportunities to enjoy the beach. Rainy days are perfect for snorkeling to immerse yourself in the vibrant marine life resting just below the surface of the ocean. Swim along the shore or hop on a boat and dive deeper into the sea.
A little rain won’t stop you from engaging in our many Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, things to do, such as:
- Charter a vessel for an afternoon of deep-sea fishing for marlin, yellowfin tuna and dorado.
- Consider a guided jet ski tour where you can freely cruise from island to island to discover all of the secrets hidden just offshore. This is the ultimate in rainy day relaxation activity.
- Go whitewater rafting down the Savegre River.
- Try kayaking through the mangrove
There are more than enough fun things to do in Manuel, Costa Rica, in the water even when it’s raining. We can also arrange parasailing trips, banana boat rides, fly fishing excursions and cruises to the white sand beaches of the secluded Tortuga Island. You’re going to get wet in the rain anyway — you might as well dive in and enjoy all of our wet and wild activities to do in Manuel, Costa Rica.
4. Take Advantage of the Classes and Amenities at Villa Punto de Vista
Still wondering what to do in Manuel Antonio when it rains? We love exploring the ocean and the jungle on a rainy day — but we also enjoy a leisurely day full of fun. If you’d rather stay on-property during one of our frequent rain showers, you should know that there are many activities to do in Manuel, Costa Rica, without venturing far from your villa, such as:
- Take this opportunity to learn a new skill. We can arrange guitar lessons for beginners and those who want to expand their skills with a few Costa Rican folk songs.
- Groove to the music. We can also schedule dance lessons that teach you the rhythms of Latin America.
- Turn up the heat on another activity with a Costa Rican cooking lesson. Practice preparing authentic Central American meals with fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
- Learn which types of wine pair best with these delicious meals so you can cook up an exotic meal in the comfort of your own home.
- Relax and recharge while listening to the raindrops hit the canopy treetops and ocean waves.
- Explore our comfortable social areas and find the perfect spot to spend the afternoon.
- Have a drink on our rooftop terrace.
- Dive into a book in our spacious living room.
- Float in the secluded infinity pool.
- Play a few rounds of pool in the game room.
- Cozy up in our home theater to watch a movie on our 10-foot screen, for the ultimate in rainy day relaxation.
See the Beauty of Costa Rica Between the Raindrops at Villa Punto de Vista
Costa Rica’s lush landscape is gorgeously green, thanks to our frequent rainstorms. Precipitation won’t put a damper on your vacation. We believe only those who view our country between the raindrops receive a truly authentic Costa Rican experience.
Whether the sun is shining or the rain is pouring, we guarantee you’ll make amazing and unforgettable memories when you explore Manuel Antonio while staying at Villa Punto de Vista. Contact us today to discover the wonderful world of adventure awaiting you in Costa Rica.